Saturday, February 10, 2007

WITHDRAWAL OF TRUTH

WITHDRAWAL OF TRUTH

This is David Taylor's Truth withdrawal paper.
Again, my frustration with the doctors.... frustration with OUR family doctor/clinic that I have trusted for so long. That I trusted when it was suggested that an antidepressant would be the best and most helpful thing for Honey. Sure, you can try counseling, the doctor said. Counseling might be most helpful in these early weeks before the Zoloft has a chance to "kick in".
Counseling WAS the answer, I see that now.
Zoloft only makes you need more Zoloft, and to get more you need to see the doctor... and the cycle continues. Pay money for the Zoloft and pay more money to get more Zoloft.
Counseling was where they helped Honey help herself. Helped her figure out fresh ways to handle stress and handle situations that made her feel sad. Counseling was where they helped Honey better learn how to be true to herself.... Zoloft just made her "false" almost. On Zoloft, Honey is NOT herself, no matter how true she tries to be... that Zoloft just creeps back in. Honey has done and said so many foreign things (foreign to the person she really is) while on Zoloft (and during the first withdrawal). When we talk about these things, she has NO IDEA why she said or did "that" (whatever it was).
Counseling, Doctor, should have been the ONLY thing you prescribed... but instead, you prescribed more sadness and also a whole bunch more detrimental things. You know, what I really wish the doctor would have said that day I brought my then 14 year old "Honey" in to talk about her feelings of sadness... I wish she would have said (reminded me of) that being a teen is HARD work, there are a lot of new hormones, emotions, experiences etc... life is HARD and teens are at a stage where they are experiementing with adulthood. What teens really need is a caring, loving adult who is not going to judge them, who is not going to be shocked by what they have to share, who is going to LISTEN and allow them to sort out their feelings/emotions in a safe, nonjudgmental environment. Encourage Honey to journal, maybe learn to meditate together, prayer, exercise... There is so much our family doctor COULD have said that would have done wonders, I feel to combat Honey's sadness. But it is not the way of the medical world... medicate, medicate, medicate.
It is hard to bring my kiddos to the doctor now, but at least I know now that I have a right to question their advice and seek other opinions, as doctors are NOT all knowing, nor are they all caring.

No comments: