Thursday, February 8, 2007

In the Beginning

Being a parent is challenging... each stage has its challenges and special joys. Being a mom to my children is a priviledge and an honor and I feel blessed beyond measure.
Being a teen is challenging as well. I remember the ups and downs I experienced years ago. I remember certain painful memories like they happened yesterday. When my daughter (I will call her Honey) came back from a retreat and said "I think I have depression", I had two opposing thoughts- "No, not my daughter!" and "Yes, I bet you do". I had seen the symptoms for a while... a general "blue" attitude, a struggle with school work, crying and crying, and several challenging situations and circumstances that we didn't have seem to have answers for or ways to cope with them.
We as consumers are bombarded with commercials (courtesy of the pharmaceutical companies) about depression, "chemical imbalances" in the brain, so when we experience emotion other than happiness or joy and tell our "doctor" about it, doctors are quick to prescribe an "antidepressant" (because they are bombarded by the pharmaceutical companies and the drug company claims of how wonderful the "new" antidepressants are).
So, my daughter and I (as good sheeple do) went to the doctor to get "help" with my daughter's symptoms. In 10 minutes my daughter was prescribed 50 mg of Zoloft/day. Zoloft has not been approved by the FDA to treat depression. The "doctor" reassured us that it is a gentle drug, not something one can become addicted to... and it will just "level you out". The doctor used a hand motion showing the ups and downs of "depression" (normal human emotion) and then a hand motion that was just a level wave of her hand to show how Zoloft would help "level out" Honey's emotions. Well, her emotions are not just leveled out... they are pretty much gone. She tends to react to much of life with a flat mood. While on the Zoloft, Honey did not experience those crying jags that worried us before.... but she doesn't experience much emotion at all. At least not in a normal way. I asked the "doctor" about counseling and she said "That would be fine, but I think she will really like the Zoloft" or something like that. So, instead of really taking the time to find out WHAT might have been causing Honey's depressive symptoms and taking the time to realize what she was experiencing was something that would have BENEFITTED from counseling, she thanked us for coming and let us know that we would need to check back in within the next couple weeks. NEVER did I hear about the increased risk for suicide, never did I hear about actual SSRI (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors- a class of antidepressants) side effects (when I asked about side effects, I was told that Honey might experience an occasional headache or stomach ache, but these symptoms would go away once her body got "use to" the medication). How a body gets "use to" SSRI's is another story all together... but in short, your body just changes the structure of your BRAIN as a way of getting "use to" these medications. I think a lobotomy is another treatment that also changes the structure of the brain. Zoloft might be another word for lobotomy.... maybe we could call SSRI's a form of "chemical lobotomy". I had no idea when I filled that first prescription for Zoloft that my daughter could be changed for life-- when I look in the patient information I got, it doesn't mention that either.
Well, Honey started the Zoloft (50mg/day) January of 2006 and continued taking it until July of 2006 when we decided as a family that she seemed more grounded, had some great friends and some better coping skills. Honey was scheduled for a school sports physical so we talked to the doctor then about discontinuing the Zoloft. We were told to "wean off very slowly"... she likes to tell people to cut the dose in half for a few weeks and then take that half dose every other day for a few weeks and then stop taking the medication. I asked (yes, I had to ask) why the dosage should be decreased so slowly and the doctor said that Honey might experience some headaches or nausea. I asked if it would hurt to go a little slower and she said that would be fine, so Honey tapered off Zoloft in 6 weeks- 3 weeks at 25mg and 3 weeks at 25mg every other day and then she was "done". Done that is, until the withdrawal side effects showed up. Those withdrawal side effects are why SSRI's are some of the biggest selling drugs- we buy them not because we want to, but because we HAVE to. Will share in another post.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting your experience with your daughter. My 12-year old daughter appears to be experiencing depression. I took her to a psychiatrist who is suggesting Zoloft. After reading your blog, I am opting for therapy and counseling.
I would like to know more about your daughter.

Honey's mom said...

Hi C!
I am glad you found my blog. I have not posted in a long time here. I would do anything to know what I know now about drug therapy for children/youth who are dealing with "depression". My daughter is still on Zoloft (only because it is so challenging to get off of) We will start this spring once the 3 Act Play she is involved with at school has ended. She has an easier school load this spring than she did Fall term (her difficult course load in the Fall as well as being part of the school's production of "Bye Bye Birdie" kept us from doing any Zoloft weaning in the fall/winter.
I think it is important, C (I wish someone would have pointed this out to me when my daughter was struggling/prior to starting Zoloft) that GROWING UP IS HARD! When I look back to my growing up/adolecent years, I cringe! I would not want to go back there! Kids are mean (even the kids who you think of as friends!), and really, life is an emotional rollercoster as you try to sort out how you feel about this or that or how to respond to all the different stressors you encounter. I also wish I would have realized that being SAD is okay- it is a signal to us that we need to take some time for ourselves- maybe re-evaluate a part of our life? Maybe slow down? Seek out different people to spend time with? Pray? Whatever emotion we (or our children) might be experiencing, the emotion has meaning! I have really learned through all of this that these emotions are purposeful and should not be buried with medications. I am glad that your daughter and you are seeking help in the form of counseling. The drugs will only bury the emotions/feelings and truly make it harder to come to resolution and growth. My daughter and I have talked with many young women (through Girl Scouts where my daughter is a Teen Outreach Volunteer) who are feeling anxious/depressed/sad/stressed and so many of them talk about being afraid to grow up- feeling like it is coming at them too fast. The pressure to wear make-up, show off their figure, sexuality etc is such a pressure- it might not be blatent peer pressure -- but more covert-- friends are talking boys boys boys (or whatever) and in order to fit in, girls are doing/saying/acting in ways they don't feel comfortable with/know goes against their personal value system or that of their family's and it causes a lot of anguish. C, I don't know what is going on with your daughter- I don't mean to assume it is what I am talking of, but I just wanted to throw it out there for you to think about.
I have found that supplementing Honey's diet with Omega 3 (fish oil) as well as a multi-vit and Vitamin C to be very helpful.
My goal for my daughter is to be off of the Zoloft prior to starting college the fall of 2009. We don't have much time and I am concerned that she may not be ready for that time.
Please let me know if there is anything you would like to talk about, C! I wish you and your Honey the very best.
With much love
Honey's mom

Anonymous said...

Dear Honey's mom,
Your daughter is a beautiful, creative individual. I trust you will all find a solution and continue sharing your experience wiht other families.
My daughter is going through a painful period of social adjustment at school. She is going through periods of deep sadness and tears, and withdrawal. Her performance at school is suffering significantly and she refuses to take up extracurricular activities. We are now looking for therapy treatment options and hope it will help her develop defenses and change her thought patterns.
My best wishes for your daughter and yourself. Please keep us posted!