Wednesday, March 14, 2007

IEP?

Stephany and anonymous mom, thanks for the insight and support.
On and off I think about some kind of 504 plan/IEP for Honey. I need to research it/figure out what having one could do for "Honey". She is a good student (last quarter managed 2 B+"s, 2A's and currently has 4 A's) and I think that does get in her way as far as reducing her stress (being a good/type A student. She has high expectations for herself. The B+'s last quarter really upset her.(she had been a straight A student up until those B's. That quarter (with the B's) was also the quarter when the withdrawals got unbearable/we didn't know at the time it was withdrawal- thought it was "depression", and that was also the quarter I filled for on Honey's behalf (and got) the restraining order on her icky x-asshole. It was a crazy time... and she pulled off 2 B's and 2 A's.
So I am thinking the school will think I am crazy and wonder what I am looking for (as far some relief for her.)
I also am hopeful for her future education and wonder if an IEP might affect college acceptance?
As far as help from school... I know that some relief as far as some flexibility with homework (I think she could still do it, but maybe not at the due date? There are just some nights when I dont know how she does it... and then falls apart when it is complete, doesn't sleep well (lots of dreams follow an evening of high stress) Another huge concern for me right now is attendance... she has missed 19 days so far, sometimes going to school when she can hardly stand the thought of it, just because I know she doesn't have much more time to miss before it turns into truancy. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

granted, an IEP/504 seems kind of extreme for honey, she does not seem to be as disabled as most of the kids who have them in place... however, you're seeing that she's really struggling with the stress. that in itself is a reason to take some steps - the IEP may be overkill, but it does not have to be a long drawn out affair, and it does not have to be permanent. they are redone every year, i believe. i have a sample of an iep written up for a boy who is schizophrenic - just to give you an idea what can be covered. it sounds like right now you're thinking just the homework stress, and maybe shortening her school day or something along those lines. i agree that maybe just speaking to the teacher(s) can be helpful, but the evaluation for an IEP is the law (you can google "IDEA" and read up on it), and the school has no choice but to review it with you - which is why we bring it up to you - in the event the school is not interested in helping honey ease her way back in. this sample IEP is too large to paste in your comments, if you want to email me at melang924@yahoo.com i'll email it you.

i hope honey had a better day today!

Kass said...

as far as truancy and missing excessive days of school, i can totally relate to that. People thought I was being lazy even though I'd been an A and B student all my life. Suffering from depression can I can't imagine throwing med withdrawal into the mix at her age...