Wednesday, March 7, 2007

yep, it was withdrawal, yep- got the script for liquid zoloft :) :)

Well, 7 hours after taking her 37.5mg dose of REAL zoloft, Honey is back to her stable self. Irritablity way down, anxiety way down. I cant wait to see how she sleeps tonight since for the past several days, dreams have been dramatic and vivid and waking her up frequently. For two weeks she has been in withdrawal and we just couldn't figure out what was wrong.

Sertraline under the Teva label should be investigated. This drug should not be used as an equal to Pfizer/Greenstone sertraline. It took me a visit to 3 different pharmacies before I found one that carried Greenstone (vs. Teva)

I was so proud of Honey today. We have been talking over (Honey and I) what the goals of the Dr. visit were, what we wanted to share, what we would share if necessary, what we would accept from the doctor and what we would refuse.
Honey presented "her case", presented a review of previous withdrawal (late Aug 06 - started back on sertraline Nov 06 and dosage bumped up Jan 07 (to help with symptoms that seemed to be withdrawal symptoms from previous Zoloft use of 50mg), presented a summary of WHY she wanted off the drug and presented our researched plan for tapering safely.
Honey ROCKED! She did all of this while she was basically "freaking out" due to withdrawal symptoms. She finally had to sit down/lay back on a bench in our final pharmacy. The pharmacist got a dose for Honey immediately. A literal few hours later and she was feeling so much better.

Dr. gave Honey a script for 2 weeks worth of tablets.
She also gave Honey the script for liquid Zoloft.
We decided that Honey would stabilize on the tablets for a couple days, then go to tablets and liquid and gradually go to just liquid. WHY? I dont know- I just feel like we should. Actually, I think I received a helpful, anonymous email from a dear helper who suggested not going straight to the liquid, but to make a gradual change. Who knows, but it seems safer to me and dr. had no problem with it.
Glad the day is over. I am so glad to have solved the withdrawal issue, so proud of Honey- being her own advocate today (I know it something she will be proud of for a while) and so glad we got the liquid :)

3 comments:

Monica Cassani said...

Looks like you're finding yours and Honey's way through this hellish maze you've found yourself in. It's not unusual for generics to react differently than the brand name drug. Even though it's only the "inactive" ingredients that are different, they can sometimes be ACTIVE!

soulful sepulcher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Honey's mom said...

Gianna and Stephany,
thanks for the support.
The whole generic thing is really making me mad.
Honey was doing pretty good... we have been trying to get her to a stable place since mid Dec. She was there-- she was at "stablility"-- just working through some issues and was going to start the dreaded taper. Now I feel like we are back at square one- but we will wait, patiently, for things to stable out again, at least now we are ready to begin- and, I guess, if I want to be positve, I know how she will withdrawal, I will know if we are cutting to much and we will know when she is ready for another decrease better having gone through this experience.
I have learned now, that generics have their faults. Finding it interesting research.